Fall is my favorite season, so it wasn’t a surprise when I fell in love with the new Spice Cake Designer Series Paper, from the Holiday Mini Catalog. The colors in the paper are Pool Party, More Mustard, Pear Pizazz, River Rock, Soft Suede, and Very Vanilla. Other than the great colors and patterns, the paper gives me an excuse to use Pool Party 3/8″ Ruffled Ribbon! Scroll down for directions on how to make the Twisted Ribbon Medallion shown on this card.
The base is Soft Suede card stock, layered with Pool Party and a layer of Spice Cake DSP. Down the front, I added Pool Party 3/8″ Ruffled Ribbon layered with 1/2″ Polka Dot Soft Suede Grosgrain (retired).
In the center, I made a little frame by using the Designer Frames Textured Impressions folder in the Big Shot with More Mustard card stock. I cut the frame out and then sponged More Mustard ink around the edges to add depth. The patterned paper inside the frame is from First Edition Specialty DSP.
As for the Twisted Ribbon Medallion (that’s what I’m calling it anyway), it’s very simple to make.
- Punch out a circle from card stock using the 1 3/8″ Circle Punch (you can make it any size you want but that is what I used here)
- Cover the front of your circle with Sticky Strip.
- Leave your ribbon on the roll and start in the center of the circle. Stick the end of your ribbon down in the middle of the card stock and start twisting the roll until your ribbon starts to twist as well.
- Keep twisting and spiraling the ribbon around the circle until you get all of the card stock covered.
- To finish, cut your ribbon off the roll, fold the end over the back of the circle, and adhere it with Sticky Strip.
- To add a brad in the center, use the cropadile. If your circle is too large for the cropadile to reach the center, you can use your paper piercer as well.
For this card, I used a gorgeous Glimmer Brad (I think this is a Soft Suede one) in the center of the medallion. Then, I layered the medallion onto a Soft Suede scallop circle made with the Scallop Circle Punch.
The sentiment is from Happiest Birthday Wishes, stamped with Soft Suede ink on Very Vanilla card stock. I sponged the edges with More Mustard ink and a sponge dauber, then matted it on More Mustard card stock. It’s attached to the card with stampin dimensionals.