A family friend recently shared her recipe for Amaretti cookies. They’re a chewy, almond flavored sweet cookie made from very few ingredients. The recipe has a slight twist to it–you let the cookies firm up overnight, uncovered, before baking.
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- Crystallized sugar
- Candied Cherries
- Dry blanched almonds thoroughly by placing them in a warm oven (350 degrees) for 5 to 10 minutes. Grind as fine as possible, until powdery, while still warm.
- Combine ground almonds and sugar in a medium size bowl; add unbeaten egg whites and almond extract; beat thoroughly.
- Divide dough into sections. Add food coloring of your choice. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper leaving 1 inch between cookies. Wet fingers with water and smooth into rounds. Sprinkle on crystallized sugar and top off with candied cherries (cut in half).
- **Let cookies stand overnight, uncovered until dough hardens**
- Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Carefully remove cookies with spatula ( if cookie stiffens, put back into oven for a few seconds to soften.) Store in an airtight container when thoroughly cooled.